In order to qualify for FEMA assistance for private homeowners and business owners, there must be 25 homes or businesses that have been destroyed or sustained major damage. At this time there have been no reports of any homes destroyed or have sustained major damage. If you do have damage to your home that you feel would be classified as “major”, please let us know by calling (828) 682-1885 and leaving a message with your contact information and the physical address of the property.

Accessibility is not covered under this program. Accessibility includes driveways, bridges, and culverts. Although this may have been covered in previous floods, this was part of a special program available only at that time. If enough damage of this type is reported and justified, the program could be re-instated.

In order to apply for reimbursement if the program becomes available in the future, it is critical that you take pictures of the damage, keep receipts, and document any work performed (type of equipment used, hours worked, supplies, etc.). You can email those documents to or mail it to Emergency Management 110 Town Square Room 11, Burnsville, NC 28714.

From the website:
What if my county isn’t declared?
Do you have damage from a disaster but don’t see your county declared for Individual
Sometimes other counties are added to the declaration later. You can come back and look up your address from our Home page to see if your county has been added. You can also visit FEMA’s Disaster Declarations page.

Yancey Emergency Management Information for Flood Damage Assistance